Following your CML treatment plan is of vital importance. If you're in the chronic phase, the goal is to keep you there, and prevent you from progressing to the more acute, accelerated phase, for as long as possible.
Some challenges in keeping to your treatment plan might be:
- Having a busy schedule
- Not getting support from family or friends
- Dealing with side effects or fear of side effects
- Missing or postponing appointments
- Financial concerns or lack of insurance
- Not understanding the full impact on your condition when you miss tests or treatments
Whatever challenges you may be facing, be sure to share them openly with your oncologist. Working together, you can come up with strategies that may help you overcome them. In addition, there are financial assistance and copay programs you may qualify for. The most important thing is to bring these issues to your doctor's attention; only then can they be dealt with. And rest assured, these situations are very common, so set any shyness or reluctance to discuss them aside. A doctor's first concern is your health and well being, but in order to help you, your oncologist needs an open, honest discussion with you.